Students are unique and must have a stimulating environment where they can grow physically, mentally, emotionally and socially.  It is my desire to create an atmosphere where everyone can meet their full potential. I provide a safe environment where students are invited to share their ideas and take risks.  After more than twenty years teaching grades one through six, what I love most about teaching are the “lightbulb” moments.  At such times, faces brighten, learning clicks into place and students gain confidence.  These moments should always be acknowledged, if not celebrated.  Indeed, knowledge is best attained by giving students tools and encouragement to make their own discoveries.  If they feel heard, valued and seen, students feel respected and produce their best work.

Planning for student creativity can be an essential component of an engaging lesson.  I build on students’ topics of interest which promote independent thinking and makes the content relevant to their lives.  Working through problems together and exchanging ideas solidifies learning and builds confidence.  Those who are withdrawn will usually engage as they become more comfortable and are provided equal opportunities to speak.  I also draw ideas for lessons from students’ styles of learning.  I incorporate hands-on learning, cooperative learning, projects, themes, and individual work that engage and activate. Open-ended assignments where knowledge is represented in various ways are often more motivating.  Rather than writing a report, students can often use the same information to create a play, rap, poster or slide presentation.

Teaching is about adapting.  Students’ contributions may take a lesson off course and it may be necessary to divert from the lesson plan to allow them to creatively apply their skills in a way which was not anticipated.  These in-the-moment contributions are often how new ideas emerge.  Upon reflection, so many of these instances of diversion are in fact connected to overall course objectives.  In math and science, a formula may need to be followed, though where possible, it is important to allow a shift in perspective.  Otherwise, motivation and inspiration are interrupted, and creativity can be stifled.  If I want students to meet an outcome using one format, such as a slide presentation, I may find they disengage.  In this situation, if they comprehend the assignment yet are unmotivated, I allow options.  This puts the question back to students, giving them more responsibility for their learning.  Although the exact outcome may not be met, at least they are brought back to being engaged in their learning.

The Zulu greeting, Sawubona, meaning “I see you” acknowledges someone for being unique and as such, valued.  As unique individuals, each student has something special that they can bring to their own education.  In a world where they can feel swallowed up by online media, students now more than ever need to know they are seen as individuals and their contributions are important.  Learning should be social as much as possible to build face-to-face connections and peer friendships.  I assist my students to express themselves and accept themselves for who they are as well embrace the differences of others.  The more comfortable students are, the more likely they are to take risks which are essential for learning.  However, there are times when it is harder to build rapport.  I recognize misbehaviour is a purposeful attempt to seek connection.  Forging connections with students who misbehave takes extra time and energy, but it is important because those hardest to reach often need it the most.  If I can’t reach the student, then the next year’s teacher also may not, and years can be wasted when all the student needed was the confidence a teacher saw them and believed in them.  Once that connection is gained, behaviour is under control and teaching is considerably easier.  Motivation to learn also increases immensely.

Teaching is often described as an art.  Creativity and adaptability are paramount.  Every classroom has its own unique community; my role as the teacher is to assist each student in developing their own potential and learning styles.  Having high expectations, where students know quality of work outweighs quantity, helps them over the long term.  Learning the value of listening to each other through collaborative group work builds empathy and they encourage one another.  Their positive school experiences propel students towards life-long learning.  Most importantly however, if I provide a safe space where I promote my values of respect, I have been much more successful than if I had started with a goal to simply check off outcomes.